My method was this:
- A mention in a post was a tally.
- Multiple mentions in the same post still count as one.
- Additional posts by the same person further expressing fears counts as one, mostly to save time on my part. (I said this was un-scientific!)
- Group related fears together, once again to save time.
- If a fear was very specific, give it a separate tally category.
Without further ado here are most
of my results:
- 20 Heavily instanced world
- 14 Too focused on solo content
- 13 Bad/Lacking PvP
- 13 TOR will copy WoW
- 12 Bad/Lacking End-game
- 12 Invisible walls
- 10 Not challenging enough
- 9 Bad visuals
- 8 Too much grind
- 7 Lack of Space Content
- 7 No Open PvP
- 6 Too much focus on Equipment
- 6 Bad/Lacking Community
- 6 Too focused on group content
- 5 Bad class balance
- 4 Bad/Lacking combat
- 4 Bad/Lacking Crafting
- 3 Bad/Lacking PvE
- 3 Bad/Lacking Customization
- 3 Mis-use of Star Wars IP
- 3 Released before it's ready
- 3 Has Microtransactions
- 3 Overpopulation of Jedi/Sith
- 3 Lack of Player Housing
- 3 No Bounty System
- 2 Lack of class variety
- 2 Too challenging
- 2 No Death Penalty
- 2 Bad voice-overs
- 2 Companions will suck
- 2 No roleplay servers
- 1 Too much story
Now, I say most because I left out two specific fears for my own ends. We'll get to those, eventually.
Looking across this entire list, you'll immediately see the big hitters. Most of the people in this thread are worried about Star Wars: The Old Republic
making heavy use of instanced zones. A lot of the time, people referenced Cryptic Studios
games and Funcom's Age of Conan
. This is mostly a matter of preference, but I will mention that not many people were worried about the opposite -- that the game would be too heavily open in zone design.
Close behind the instance issue are the fears of bad PvP, end-game content and solo focus. These are the usual suspects when it comes to worries about an upcoming MMO -- especially the content one. Also high on the list and related to these worries is the fear of invisible walls being littered throughout SWTOR
Now, I know you see the "Too much like WOW"
fear up there but I'm skipping that one, for the moment.