Twelve South produces a lot of really impressive accessories that are designed for Apple products alone. A while back, the company developed the sleek SurfacePad for iPhone, a leather folio case with a difference - it's incredibly thin and light. Now the company has started shipping the SurfacePad for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus (US$39.99 and $49.99 respectively), and TUAW's not only going to review the new model, but give away two of the cases each for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
- iPhone 6: Thickness - .07 inches (2 mm), Weight - 1.02 ounces (29 gm)
- iPhone 6 Plus: Thickness - .07 inches (2 mm), Weight - 1.48 ounces (42 gm)
- Material: Napa leather
- Colors: Black, Red, White, Camel
The design of the SurfacePad hasn't changed from our first review in early 2013, but the size has of course increased to match Apple's new, larger iPhones.
The folio is one piece of luscious leather, with a pad of what's called SurfaceGrip on the back inside. It's an amazingly sticky material that holds the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus securely in place, but you can remove your phone in seconds with a firm pull and then reattach the case again later.
The leather comes in four different colors. The black is rich and deep, the red is bright, white is very ... white, and the new camel is a nice tan leather finish. All are professionally stitched with coordinated thread.
The cover of the folio folds over to protect the screen of your device, and it's also equipped with two slots for ID or credit cards that aren't yet compatible with Apple Pay. The folio also folds into a nice landscape-mode stand for your device, perfect for shooting images or watching your favorite movie.
Twelve South has been making the SurfacePad for quite a few years now, both for iPad and iPhone. The design makes for one of the most functional cases for an iPhone, basically doing it all - protecting the front and back of the phone, acting as a mini wallet, and providing a stand when you really need it.
The SurfaceGrip technology works very well; I've had one of the iPad cases for a few years and have removed and reapplied it many times in order to try out other cases. While I've seen issues with some of the other "sticky back" materials wearing out, SurfaceGrip seems to keep on going without fail.
A lot of companies have basically hijacked Twelve South's design for the SurfacePad, but the original is still the best lightweight folio case out there. It's thin, light, and very well made, and sold at a price won't break the bank.
Rating: 4 stars out of 4 stars possible
We have four of these lovely cases to give away to TUAW readers. For the iPhone 6 owners, there is the choice of camel or black leather, while iPhone 6 Plus owners get the choice of white or red. Here are the rules for the giveaway:
- Open to legal US residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 and older.
- To enter, fill out the form below completely and click or tap the Submit button.
- The entry must be made before November 10, 2014 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Four winners will be selected in a random drawing. Two will win the SurfacePad for iPhone 6 valued at $39.99, while two will win the SurfacePad for iPhone 6 Plus valued at $49.99.
- Click Here for complete Official Rules.