Latest in Tomorrow

Image credit:

Toyota forms a joint venture to make its own self-driving car chips

Auto manufacturers are chip manufacturers now.
1 Shares
Share
Tweet
Share

Sponsored Links

Robert Hradil via Getty Images

Toyota is getting into the semiconductor business, partnering with auto supplier Denso to form a new company focused on chip manufacture.

The aim is to create next-generation semiconductors for use in the automotive industry and in self-driving cars in particular. Reuters reports that this includes components like "power modules for electric vehicles and periphery monitoring sensors for automated vehicles." The new business will be owned between the two companies, with Denso owning 51 percent and Toyota owning the remaining 49 percent.

The companies hope to launch the business next year if it is approved by antitrust authorities, with a capital investment of 50 million yen ($458,968) and a team of 500 employees.

Denso, which Toyota owns 24 percent of, has experience supplying advanced components for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Last year the two companies agreed to consolidate their production of electronic components, and they have previously partnered in other self-driving vehicle projects. Now, Toyota is moving more of its electronics development over to Denso.

Autonomous vehicles are a hugely growing market and computing power is a key element of new developments. Sensors are important too, as they allow autonomous vehicles to detect nearby cars and interact with infrastructure such as traffic lights. With competition from hardware industry leaders like Intel and Nvidia, Toyota is taking on the challenge of creating its own advanced computer systems for autonomous vehicles.

All products recommended by Engadget are selected by our editorial team, independent of our parent company. Some of our stories include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Comment
Comments
Share
1 Shares
Share
Tweet
Share

Popular on Engadget

Live PlayStation 5 photos reveal a truly giant console

Live PlayStation 5 photos reveal a truly giant console

View
Microsoft releases a final preview for Windows 10's October update

Microsoft releases a final preview for Windows 10's October update

View
Verizon's $30 Unlimited Plus tablet plan offers 5G access

Verizon's $30 Unlimited Plus tablet plan offers 5G access

View
Sony apologizes for botched PlayStation 5 pre-orders

Sony apologizes for botched PlayStation 5 pre-orders

View
Canadian police charged a Tesla owner for sleeping while driving

Canadian police charged a Tesla owner for sleeping while driving

View

From around the web

Page 1Page 1ear iconeye iconFill 23text filevr