Apple iPhone 5c
Read Full Review
The iPhone 5c might not be cheap, but it's a gorgeous handset that brings a breath of fresh air to the iPhone lineup. For many people, it might even be a better choice than the iPhone 5s.
- Gorgeous design
- Beautiful colors and craftsmanship
- Global LTE support
- Most affordable new iPhone yet
- Last year's internals
- Camera stumbles in low light
AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE
AVERAGE USER SCORE
View All Critic & User Reviews
Apple iPhone 5c
- Critic Reviews (33)
- User Reviews (20)
- 81AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE33 ReviewsWired70Apple iPhone 5c Sheâ€™s a Rainbow...the iPhone 5c is a good fun phone with year-old technology. For many, that’s good enough.Macworld80iPhone 5c review: The no-brainer upgrade for iPhonThe iPhone 5c offers enough new features at an attractive enough price to make it an affordable upgrade to anyone who still owns a iPhone 4 or 4s.Gizmodo70iPhone 5C Review: A Fresh Coat of Paint Only GoesThe iPhone 5C is a really good phone—one that I enjoyed using. But it's phone we already know. It's like buying a designer dress at a warehouse sale. Sure, you might be buying Chanel or Gucci, but it's last season's model, and it's just not the same.ZDNet70Apple iPhone 5c review: A colourful iPhone 5 withIf you're an existing iPhone user and weren't tempted by the iPhone 5, then the colourful 5c is worth considering as an upgrade.Ars Technica80Blue, green, yellow, white, and pink are the new bMinor component differences aside, it's mostly an iPhone 5 in a colorful plastic shell. It's only technically "new," but that may be as new as it needs to be.Laptop Magazine80iPhone 5c (Verizon) ReviewLike last year's model, the iPhone 5c is an excellent smartphone ... Overall, the iPhone 5c is a smartphone that combines good looks, a slick OS and a top-notch app selection, making it one of our favorite sub-$100 smartphones.PC Mag80Apple iPhone 5c (Verizon Wireless)The colorful, plastic iPhone 5c is a welcome upgrade for existing iPhone 4 and 4S owners, and a great introduction to Apple's awesome app platform at a nice price.AnandTech80The iPhone 5c ReviewThe iPhone 5c is a well built device. For all intents and purposes it is a perfect replacement for the iPhone 5 ... Apple’s return to a polycarbonate iPhone design seems to have gone quite well. The iPhone 5c is solid, doesn’t have any noticeable amount of flex and has a great in hand feel.Engadget90iPhone 5c reviewThe iPhone 5C might not be cheap but it's a gorgeous handset that brings a breath of fresh air to the iPhone lineup. For many people, it might even be a better choice than the iPhone 5s.CNET80iPhone 5C review: A cheaper iPhone that doesn't cuMuch like the White MacBook was to Apple laptops, the iPhone 5C feels like a perfect cover-all-your-needs smartphone, offering the average person a complete set of tools to get everything done.TechCrunch90iPhone 5c Review: Appleâ€™s Colorful Take On The iGiven the choice, I’d choose an iPhone 5c over an iPhone 5, based on design alone, and ignoring its other benefits. In other words, if you’re in the market for a new smartphone, Apple’s iPhone 5c should be right near the top of your list.The Wall Street Journal80Candy-Colored iPhone With Improvements 5C Is a SolI've been using the new iPhone 5C for the past five days and it's a solid premium phone ... I like the candy-colored, tough plastic shell, as I am not a delicate flower and my phone shouldn't be, either.PC MagNot RatedHands On With the Apple iPhone 5CThe colors go well with thoughtfully color-matched wallpapers. Otherwise: iPhone 5! Same screen, and as far as I could tell, pretty much the same performance.ComputerworldNot RatedHands on with Apple's iPhone 5C and 5SThe plastic case of the phone didn't feel "cheap" or low quality. It has a high-gloss finish and was comfortable to hold, much like the iPhone 3 models. The phones are colorful and Apple is also offering a series of equally colorful and stylish cases to accessorize the phone to match your style.MacworldNot RatedHands-on with the iPhone 5cThe polycarbonate shell is, of course, the most obvious change. It’s crafted from a single piece of plastic, and—as Apple design maven Jonathan Ive said in a video played during the Apple media event introducing the phone—you won’t find a single seam or joint in the unibody-style design.Laptop MagazineNot RatedApple iPhone 5c Hands-on: Bright, Colorful, DurablAlthough the iPhone 5c has a plastic back, it doesn’t feel cheap. While not as solid as the aluminum of the iPhone 5s, it certainly feels like it can take a few knocks. Best of all, the glossy finish seemed to be pretty good at hiding fingerprints.Ars TechnicaNot RatedA tale of two iPhones: Hands-on with the iPhone 5SThe way that the phone feels in your hand is the most important thing about the iPhone 5C, and Apple has done a pretty good job here ... the 5C feels pretty good to hold and seems like it could take a few accidental trips to the ground without breaking.PC WorldNot RatedHands on with Apple's iPhone 5C and 5SThe bright colors and new case aside, the phone was just as much an iPhone as the more expensive model. It lacks the new processor powering the iPhone 5S and its fingerprint sensor, but the iPhone 5C's performance didn't disappoint.EngadgetNot RatedApple iPhone 5c hands-onOverall, the 5c offers the same speed and performance as the iPhone 5, so this combined with the color options and solid build will help breathe new life into the mid-tier iPhone option.AnandTechNot RatedHands on with the new iPhone 5CThe 5C might not be the flagship for Apple, but it's arguably the more interesting of the two devices since it's Apple's next attempt at a polymer device.TechCrunchNot RatedAppleâ€™s iPhone 5C Makes Plastic Feel Pretty FantI’m maybe most impressed by how light and yet solid the iPhone 5C feels. While it may not quite live up to the ultra-luxe metal and glass feel of the iPhone 5 and now 5C, it doesn’t feel like a cheap device; this is a premium phone, despite the price tag and somewhat older internals.CNETNot RatediPhone 5C comes in 5 colors, starts at $99 on contIn all, this is pretty much what we were expecting the iPhone 5C to be -- a cheaper-to-produce version of the iPhone 5 that's been jazzed up with an all-new, colorful and shiny look.Tech Advisor80New iPhone 5C review: Apple's premium plastic andThe iPhone 5C is a nice smartphone. However, we just can't see the need for it in the first place, unless it was cheaper. It's too expensive for what is effectively an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell with minor changes in hardware.Wired UK80Apple iPhone 5c reviewIf however you quite like the look of the 5c, you won't be at all let down by the powerful components and top-notch camera buried inside, as well as the refined user experience offered by iOS 7.SlashGear80iPhone 5c ReviewWhile the iPhone 5c may be, for the most part, last year’s flagship in this year’s fashion, there’s no denying that there’s an appetite for that. The iPhone 5 remained an excellent option ... and the iPhone 5c takes the best of that and makes it more eye-catching and more affordable.Pocket-Lint80Apple iPhone 5C reviewThe iPhone 5C is a lovely phone that is solid in its performance and playful it its approach. The combination of the colourful exterior sits beautifully against the latest iOS 7 operating system and it's good to see Apple ditching the ode to faux leather and yellow legal paper shtick.MashableNot RatediPhone 5C Hands On: Your Budget iPhoneWhile the 5C's specs are largely familiar to anyone who owns an iPhone 5 (retina display, LTE, iSight camera, A6 chip), everything else about the new phone is surprising — at least for Apple.Wired UKNot RatediPhone 5C hands-on: rainbows descend on Apple's otIn the hand it's very different to the iPhone 5 it essentially replaces, still feeling sturdy and refined but with a feel more reminiscent of an iPhone 3GS, albeit thinner, than the iPhone 5 or even iPhone 4 and 4S. It's glossy and smooth, and the edges curve neatly around the sides ...SlashGearNot RatediPhone 5C hands-onIt’s not a cheap-feeling phone, but it doesn’t have the same premium finish as the 5S. There’s something a little toy-like about it, though not in a bad way; it’s solid and dense, and creak-free, and the weight is evenly balanced along the length.Pocket-LintNot RatediPhone 5C pictures and hands-onTechnology aside, the plastic outer, which is meant represent a more youthful product and one that is more playful is shiny to touch, but feels very much apart of the phone rather than something that could be peeled off after some use.Digital Versus80Apple iPhone 5cThe Apple iPhone 5c is a good smartphone. It has a pleasant design that's nice to use and handle, an excellent screen and good general performances. However, it's hard to recommend this repainted iPhone 5 over the higher-end iPhone 5s.TechRadar80iPhone 5C reviewIt's not that Apple has done its best to make the iPhone 5C appealing, but as last year's phone re-packaged its hard to recommend it totally - although the large range of colors and combination with iOS 7 helps enormously.GSM Arena80Apple iPhone 5c review: The color of magicSo had the iPhone 5c become the midrange smartphone that rumors tipped it to be, it would have been a real winner. However, its pricing puts it on par or higher than just about every smartphone on the market - barring its own 5s brother - so things look a bit different.VentureBeat80iPhone 5C: the much-overlooked jewel in Appleâ€™sShould the company have priced it even cheaper to fight more aggressively for market share? Probably. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s still a relatively cheap and overlooked option for iPhone purchasers in the U.S. and other developed nations.phoneArena90Apple iPhone 5c ReviewQuite simply, the iPhone 5c makes plastic phones look cool, since it’s compact, has a solid construction, and it’s available in a palette of colors ... On the surface, the software experience on the iPhone 5c is nearly identical to the iPhone 5s ...IGN80THE IPHONE 5 IN A COLORFUL, COST-EFFECTIVE SHELL.The iPhone 5C is unlikely to appeal to those that demand to be on the bleeding edge of style or technology. But then again, it wasn't built for that crowd. Instead, Apple is targeting more casual, cost-conscious consumers, and to that end, the iPhone 5C is a pretty great solution for the price range.Gizmodo Australia80iPhone 5c Review: Shiny, Bright And TightThe iPhone 5c is meant for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 stalwarts. If you have one of those phones because you don’t always need the new whiz-bang greatest hardware on the market, then the 5c is for you. It’s the perfect upgrade for the mid-market hold-out customer.iLounge80Apple iPhone 5c (16GB/32GB)The iPhone 5c falls short of the total excellence offered by its predecessor, however, and it’s a shame that Apple felt the need to physically cheapen a winning prior model in order to make adequate room for its sequel.Daring Fireball90The iPhone 5S and 5CThe 5C, though, is purely an emotional play — and, I think, a winning one.AppleInsiderNot RatedHands-on with the new iPhone 5c & color casesApple's colorful new iPhone 5c is designed to upgrade existing smartphone users into the A6-class iPhone 5 world, while introducing bright mix-and-match colors borrowed from the iPod mainstream. However, predictions that iPhone 5c would serve a "cheap" or "lite" role were proven wrong.ExtremeTechNot RatediPhone 5C: A play-it-safe device that milks AppleâOn the one hand, I think this is a smart move. In the absence of an exciting new product, such as iTV or iWatch, Apple should stick to what it does best: Leveraging its supply chain to produce utterly insane profits.Digital VersusNot RatediPhone 5s and 5c: Hands OnFor the several minutes we got to spend alone with the 5c, it was fluid and responsive, and the new iOS 7 interface's airy 3D design ushers in a whole new look for the brand.IGNNot RatedApple iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C Hands-onThe iPhone 5C may be Apple's worst-kept secret, but there's one thing that the pre-announcement leaks had wrong: the iPhone 5C is not Apple's "cheap iPhone." While the iPhone 5C may trade custom-tooled aluminum for polycarbonate plastic, it bears all of the other core components.CNNNot RatedHands-on impressions of the new iPhonesThe polycarbonate body does feel sturdier than other plastic phones, and the phone still has bit of weight to it. The entire back side of the phone is one seamless piece of plastic and comes in blue, green, pink, yellow and white.T3Not RatediPhone 5c preview: Hands-onThe features match and also surpass the likes of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and the HTC One Mini when it comes to the camera, the quality of the screen and the power of the processor.Los Angeles TimesNot RatedApple update: Here's how Apple's iPhone 5S, iPhoneWhat stood out to O’Brien was that the lightweight device still felt sturdy -- like it would survive a drop-it-on-the-floor test ... As pretty as the iPhone 5C is to look at, the ... phone is missing some features that are exclusive to the ... iPhone 5S.VentureBeatNot RatedOur first look at the new iPhonesOf these two devices, we actually found the cheaper 5C a greater pleasure to handle. Its gorgeously smooth plastic surface made us feel like we were caressing some mythical sea creature, silky and cool.TechRadarNot RatedHands on: iPhone 5C reviewWe're fans of what Apple has tried to do here, with the emphasis on colour and design over pure spec wars ... the opportunity to differentiate will likely be one to win over consumers – and if a brand can get its phone in your pocket, then the battle is already won.Expert Reviews80Apple iPhone 5C reviewFast and responsive with a great operating system, but the iPhone 5S is better value and faster.BGR80iPhone 5c review: The other high-end iPhoneThose who currently do not own iPhones and who might be thinking of purchasing one for the first time will find a fantastic option in the iPhone 5c. At the $99 price level on contract in the U.S., I’m not sure a better phone exists than the 16GB iPhone 5c.TrustedReviews80iPhone 5C reviewThere are some small improvements, such as the new front-facing camera, but it’s not a worthwhile upgrade from that phone unless you fall in love with the new colourful bodies. It’s not particularly interesting tech-wise ...The Inquirer80iPhone 5C reviewWe think Apple could have done more to make the iPhone 5C more exciting though, whether that was to design it with a larger screen or a more impressive rear-facing camera.V380Apple iPhone 5C reviewIt is a great phone, sure, and anyone who does buy one will not feel short changed. But we're not sure who will buy it. The price means it has little chance of competing with Android devices ... as it is more expensive than some high-end devices, and is even on par with the Samsung Galaxy S4.Stuff80iPhone 5c reviewIf you can overlook the cases, colours and marketing (and they’re big ifs), the 5c’s a powerful, smart package, with a great OS.The Loop90Review: iPhone 5c and iPhone 5sIt hits the sweet spot of having a powerful device with fun colors, at an affordable price-point. That’s not an easy thing to do.TrustedReviewsNot RatediPhone 5CThere’s no hiding it, the iPhone 5C is an iPhone 5 in a new frock. But it’s a pretty frock and the lively colours may well appeal to younger generations. Cheap it’s certainly not, but it undoubtedly provides the iPhone experience at a lower price point.The LoopNot RatedHands on with the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5SThe iPhone 5C is a gorgeous looking phone, no matter what color choose. They all feel very rugged in their construction, so you can put any thoughts of a cheap iPhone out of your mind right now.USA Today80New iPhones and iOS 7 team up for winning comboI can strongly recommend either new iPhone ... But with iOS 7 dressing up your current device, you may not have to upgrade right away.
- 87AVERAGE USER SCORE20 ReviewsEngadget Reader90September 30, 2015Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I bought this one in january 2014 and until now it is the best cell phone that I have had. It is very snappy even with iOS 9. The quality of the screen is amazing. The colors look very vivid and sharp. The camera is very well in conditions of much light but is weak in less light condition. Respect to the size, to me is perfect because it fit perfectly in my pant pocket. I really like the others models of iphone but, the iphone 5c it my favorite.Engadget Reader80January 6, 2015Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Great phone to replace old iPhone 4, which became very slow with iOS7 and could not fit iOS8.Great for those who don't need iPhone 5s fingerprint featureOne con vs iPhone 5s is that iPhone 5s can track steps itself (to Health app) with its M7 motion processor.Engadget Reader80December 22, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!There's a lot to like about this in spite of a few flaws. - EngadgetEngadget Reader90November 30, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The 5c is great if you don't want a hole in your wallet, but most should go with the 5s or 6Engadget Reader100October 12, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I love it because it was cheap and i got my favriot colorEngadget Reader90May 18, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetEngadget Reader80April 11, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!There's a lot to like about this in spite of a few flaws. - Engadgetcbckly91780April 9, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!There's a lot to like about this in spite of a few flaws. - EngadgetEngadget Reader100March 21, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Great phone for my teenage daughterEngadget Reader90March 20, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I actually own the device and have had nothing but good things to say about it. I am not a fan of the square iPhone 5S or even 5 shape. I like the rounded edges. Yes - so plastic is cheap but it is a decent feeling plastic - maybe too slick making the device slippery. Battery life (and really this is any smartphone) needs big improvement - 2-3 times what it is currently. But this is an industry problem not a specific Apple problem. I am amazed this was voted worst product for 2013 since the iPhone 5 got great reviews and clearly the people actually using the device rank it 8.7 overall. Think people that voted it worst product have never actually used one. For the most part it is a lighter (yes plastic) iPhone 5 with slightly better camera and battery. Any issues I have had with the phone have been iOS related and fixed with updates not actual hardware issues. Coming from a Nokia 920 of course I want a bigger screen.Engadget Reader100March 11, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!A gadget unicorn - EngadgetEngadget Reader90February 25, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I am really impressed with my 5C. I love everything about it, and would get it all over again if given the chance.Engadget Reader90January 7, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetEngadget Reader50November 30, 2013Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I have owned the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, and 5c. The 5c is one of the worst iPhones I have ever owned. It is constantly freezing on me and dropping signal when I need it most. Opening apps and doing other tasks takes three or four tries before it finally opens or does what I want it to do. I loved all of my other iPhones, they were great machines, but the 5c has been nothing but a problem-making-machine for me. I realize that I most likely have a lemon, and I am most likely going to replace the phone, but for now I have had nothing but trouble with this phone since I have had it starting on day 1.Engadget Reader90November 16, 2013Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetEngadget Reader90November 12, 2013Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetEngadget Reader90November 11, 2013Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetEngadget Reader90October 16, 2013Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I finally upgraded from my old personal iPhone 3GS, so in comparison to it, the iPhone 5c (32GB) is awesome. It definitely does NOT feel like plastic. Has a nice feel to it. I also have a work iPhone 4S, and I'm not really fond of the metal case of the 5s. The 5c works fast and camera is perfect for my use. I did get the white version as the other colors were not of my liking. I am having a difficult time trying to find a case for additional protection while still showing off the white body of the phone. I would recommend anyone with the old 3GS through 4S to upgrade to the 5c.Engadget Reader90October 4, 2013Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetAdityan80September 24, 2013Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Its a tad heavier than most phones its size. The screen size could have been larger. Everything else about this phone is pure Apple. The best!
Mercedes EQS first drive: S-Class luxury in an EV
Mercedes EQS first drive: S-Class luxury in an EV
Relaxing behind the wheel of Mercedes’ level 3 autonomous Drive Pilot