Apple Macbook (early 2016)
Apple deserves credit for improving the MacBook's battery life and disk speeds, but other than that, this is, for better and worse, the same machine as last year's model. If you previously shied away from the 12-inch MacBook because of the "one port" thing, this still isn't the laptop for you. But if portability and screen quality are a priority above else, you can take comfort in knowing that this year's version is just as good in that respect, and that the performance is materially better.
- attractive design
- Comfortable keyboard
- Gorgeous display
- Improved SSD speeds
- New model does indeed get an extra hour of battery life
- Now available in pink
- if that's your thing
- Still just one port; adapters sold separately
- Battery life still trails other ultraportables
- including Apple's own MacBook Air
- Critic Reviews (9)
- User Reviews (2)
- 78AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE9 ReviewsMacworld80MacBook 2016 review: Ultraportable laptop satisfieThe MacBook is for the user who values portability over anything else. The 2016 edition comes with a welcomed speed boost and a Rose Gold option.Ars Technica80Review: The 2016 Retina MacBook is a faster versioIf you mostly use your laptop as a laptop without connecting it to a bunch of external monitors and peripherals, the MacBook acquits itself reasonably well, though I still think it would have greater appeal if it was more versatile.PC Mag70Apple MacBook (2016)The insanely sleek 12-inch MacBook is still the lightest Apple laptop, but competing Windows laptops have caught up in thinness, weight, and screen quality.Laptop Magazine70Apple MacBook 2016 ReviewThe updated MacBook packs more performance and battery life into a wonderfully thin and light design, but Apple didn't address the biggest drawbacks.CNET80Apple MacBook (2016) review: MacBook still short oWith a handful of subtle improvements, the updated 12-inch Apple MacBook is more of a mainstream machine, but remains a few tweaks away from being the best laptop on the market.Mashable90A beautiful compromiseThe new MacBook is still the thinnest, lightest Apple notebook you can buy. And now it has better performance.Time80Review: Appleâ€™s New MacBook Is a Gorgeous LaptopThe MacBook’s design and portability won’t disappoint Apple fans, so long as you don’t mind going all-in on USB Type-C.TechRadar80MacBook reviewApple has reinvented the laptop with the new MacBook, but there's room for improvement. If you can stomach its flaws, it's such a beautifully-designed machine that they probably won't matter.Tech Insider70There's only one reason to buy the new MacBookIt seems like the only real advantage the MacBook has over other computers is its design and portability. The only reason to buy it is if you value looks over everything else and are willing to pay a premium for it.
- 85AVERAGE USER SCORE2 ReviewsPeter90June 5, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I was looking for a laptop on the go, mainly to present PowerPoints, all over the world. And so far, this little machine has proven to be brilliant at doing just that, and then some. It is my main productivity machine for more than three years now. I simply love it.MarcG.80August 20, 2016Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!There's a lot to like about this in spite of a few flaws. - Engadget