Google Pixel 5
The Pixel 5 is one of the best small Android phones we’ve used in quite some time, and Google’s clean, feature-rich approach to Android remains alluring. That said, we’re not sure it’ll make Pixel fans out of people who didn’t already prefer them. That’s partly because of unusual missteps like a lackluster speaker setup and still camera performance that doesn’t beat out the competition the way it used to. More than anything, though, the Pixel 5 is a victim of circumstance: It’s a mostly solid smartphone that would’ve rated higher if some of its rivals weren’t such great values.
- Android 11 is clean and clever
- Compact and well-built
- Long battery life
- Solid but stagnating camera performance
- Audio quality isn’t great
- Other phones offer better value
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (7)
- 84AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE7 ReviewsPC Mag80An affordable flagship that focuses on camera qualityThe Google Pixel 5 delivers 5G connectivity, excellent cameras, long battery life, and an outstanding Android software experience for a relatively affordable price.CNET80Great camera, but it's hard to recommend at this priceGoogle lowered its launch price, but the Pixel 5 hasn't pulled ahead of its more compelling rivals.Pocket-Lint80Premium, but at a priceGoogle's 2020 flagship is something of an oddball. Sure, it's a very competent phone with the power, camera, performance and build quality. But there are downsides - such as the poor ear speaker, and the larger and cheaper Pixel 4a 5G being much the same - that detract from the overall package.Android Authority90The best premium PixelThe Google Pixel 5 is a great option for those who want to spend $700 on a smartphone. While it may not have the best, fastest specs on the market, Google's smarts and the pure enjoyment factor of a Pixel phone make it worth the price of admission.Digital Camera World100A no-fuss, champion point and shoot at an affordable priceThe Google Pixel 5 is one of the most fuss-free, fun, capable point and shoot camera phones out there. At $699 / £599, it’s a fraction of the price of previous Pixels, while still delivering a pure Google experience. In day to day use, it’s a treat thanks to a compact design and reliable camera. While there isn’t a telephoto lens or much in the way of new tech here, it all comes together beautifully nonetheless. Unless you need zoom or extra processor oomph for gaming, this all makes the Google Pixel 5 a knockout phone across the board.The Verge80NEW PHONE, OLD TRICKSInstead of trying to make a flagship, Google aimed right down the middle — and it hit the bull’s-eye.Stuff80A more modest kind of flagshipSelective hardware choices make the latest Pixel more attainable - but unless you insist on the most streamlined version of Android, cheaper rivals offer a similar experience.
More from Google
- The update will cover other “particularly personal” facilities, like fertility centers and weight loss clinics.
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?
- “This is a profound change for the country that deeply affects so many of us, especially women."