The ZV-1 is Sony’s first RX100-series camera designed specifically for vlogging. It does that job well thanks to a lightweight body, built-in high-quality microphone, flip-out display, best-in-class autofocus and excellent image quality. The 24-70mm lens is sharp, but it needs to be wider because of the 25 percent crop when using electronic stabilization. It also lacks a true touch display and a headphone port. That nitpicking aside, if you’re looking to step up from a smartphone or just want something simple, it does the job nearly perfectly.
- Small and lightweight
- Fast autofocus with reliable face/eye tracking
- Built-in high-quality microphone
- Fully articulating screen
- Good video quality
- Lens needs to be wider
- No headphone port
- Limited touch screen functions
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (10)
- 87AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsPC Mag70A point-and-shoot camera built just for vloggingThe Sony ZV-1 is a pocketable camera with strong still image quality and features geared specifically toward vloggers.Pocket-Lint100Vlogging champOn the whole, the ZV-1 seems to nail Sony's vision. It's nimble, lightweight and powerful. With its advanced processing capabilities, fast autofocus and real-time tracking, combined with the impressively clear audio capture and the useful flip-out screen, it really is a great option for vloggers.Camera Jabber90Sony ZV-1 ReviewThe Sony ZV-1 delivers everything that a vlogger could wish for in a compact camera, and it comes with Sony's excellent AF system. There are features to help inexperienced photographers/videographers/vloggers get good results, the exposure can be controlled automatically or manually and there's a built-in ND filter plus Log and Gamma control. It makes it easy to produce great 4K video but lets you take control when you want to. It all adds up to a very enticing camera for vloggers.The Verge80SONY'S FIRST VLOGGING CAMERA ALMOST NAILS ITVlogging is a professional job, and lots of those pros are well beyond what the ZV-1 is and can do. Many aren’t, though — and others might just want something that’s pocketable. I hope there are enough people to convince Sony to keep investing in the category. The ZV-1 is an admirable retrofit, but I’d love to see what a ground-up rebuild would look like.Forbes80Sony ZV-1 ReviewThere’s a lot to like—the ability to immediately shift focus to an item is huge for segments of the vlogging world. Those interested should carefully weight the pros and cons.Digital Camera World90Sony ZV-1 reviewSome might dismiss the ZV-1 as yet another Sony RX100 variant, but it’s much more than that. The sensor and lens might be familiar, but the body, the controls, the audio and the rear screen are all new and different and optimised brilliantly for vlogging.TechRadar90Sony ZV-1 reviewThe Sony ZV-1 is the best compact vlogging camera you can buy. Its mix of a bright lens, superb autofocus and design tweaks like the side-flipping screen make it a powerful pocket video option with few peers.ePHOTOzine80Sony ZV-1 ReviewYou've got high-speed video recording, albeit at a lower-resolution, with less detail. Focus is fast and reliable, and there are easy to use features that produce excellent results, with blurred background if you want it, or a clearer background when needed. Ultimately, the Sony ZV-1, is the best compact camera we've seen for vlogging, and entry-level video work. The quality of output is clear to see, and the camera makes it incredibly easy to get great footage!Stuff100Sony's after the vloggersAfter reviewing it, we bought one for our on-the-go video… ‘nuff said.Photography Blog90Sony ZV-1 ReviewWith much of the technology and features the same, or at least operating in the same way, as recent A7 series cameras, Sony has created a small vlogging camera in the ZV-1 that is almost perfect with the technology currently available.
More from Sony
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?
- Our favorite devices from Apple, Google, Bose, Samsung, Jabra and others are all on sale.
The best Black Friday game console deals on the Nintendo Switch, Xbox Series S, PlayStation 5 and othersNot every console is on sale, but we've organized all of the places where you can buy these machines in one place.