Samsung Gear VR
Oculus VR and Samsung's Gear VR virtual reality headset is an enticing first taste of the potential future of a new medium. It's light, comfortable and -- most importantly -- accessible. Gear VR is the most usablevirtual reality headset we've ever tried, and the first to market after several years of hype. At the same time, an extremely limited selection of software and functionality makes Gear VR live up to its "Innovator Edition" alias: It's a device intended for early adopters and virtual reality enthusiasts, not the mainstream. At least for now.
- Incredibly accessible
- Light, comfortable, attractive
- Extremely impressive visuals
- Limited functionality
- Extremely limited software library
- Requires a Note 4, making it very expensive
- Critic Reviews (3)
- User Reviews (5)
- 80AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE3 ReviewsEngadget80Looking into the future: Samsung Gear VR reviewAt the same time, an extremely limited selection of software and functionality makes Gear VR live up to its "Innovator Edition" alias: It's a device intended for early adopters and virtual reality enthusiasts, not the mainstream. At least for now.CNET80â€‹Virtual reality is here, and it runs on a smartThe Gear VR Innovator Edition is a cool -- and very promising -- entry ticket for early adopters looking for an affordable taste of virtual reality.Gizmodo80Samsung Gear VR Review: Hell Yes I Will Strap ThisThe Gear VR feels like proof that VR headsets aren't a dead-end this time around, and that you probably won't have to go out of your way to get one three or four or five years from now. No, you probably shouldn't buy it right now, but you should be very glad it exists.
- 96AVERAGE USER SCORE5 ReviewsEngadget Reader100November 14, 2015Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!One of the best gadget on our generation .. the feeling of using it is really "Wow" !! .. it will take you to places you've never been before, amazing gaming experiences and many more !! ! !Engadget Reader90February 3, 2015Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!This is the first true VR headset for the consumer market. Extremely low latency and very good menu system. Build quality is great. Only downsides are that you can only use it with the Note 4 and that no content is available. Saying that, some great relaxation content is available at http://www.feeltherelaxation.com/products/dream-beach-australia-360-degree-full-hd-vr-video-for-oculus-rift-samsung-gear-vr-and-zeiss-vr-oneEngadget Reader100December 29, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!This is my first venture into VR and I am in awe of how great it works. I've had countless coworkers, friends and family try it with everyone loving it. Can't wait for more software.Engadget Reader100December 28, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The Virtual Reality experience on this is amazing, just needs positional tracking (and more content). It's amazing what Samsung and Oculus have accomplished using a mobile phone in such a short time period.Engadget Reader90December 26, 2014Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Good variety of free software to show potential. However there is no software that is a killer game or app - yet. The games are too childish. I like the concert videos but hope the video and audio quality are improved. Like that I can view photos and videos from my phone. Hope it later supports streaming - like Netflix. I am glad I bought it.