Nintendo Switch console
Two years after its launch, the Nintendo Switch is an even more capable gaming console. Nintendo’s bet on portability has paid off well: While other consoles are stuck under your TV, the Switch lets you bring your favorite games just about anywhere. Now, it has an even stronger selection of games to play, and it’s home to some of the best indie titles around.
- Innovative hardware
- Being able to play your games anywhere is unique
- A huge step up from the Wii U
- So-so battery life
- Screen doesn't work well outside
- Still waiting on more features
- Expensive accessories
- Critic Reviews (10)
- User Reviews (21)
- 76AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsCNET80Nintendo Switch review: Come for Zelda, then waitA solid piece of hardware that delivers an impressive gameplay experience in a small chassis. But a shallow roster of launch games beyond Zelda along with no concrete plan for legacy retro games leaves the Switch feeling more like a blank slate of unfulfilled potential on day 1.Gizmodo70Nintendo Switch Review: Plays Zelda Great, Doesn'tIf you don’t currently own the Switch than bide your time and wait for more games. Nintendo’s made a potentially cool console. Now it needs to prove it’s worth all its hype.Tech Advisor80Nintendo Switch reviewIt's a slick, attractive device, but is let down by limited software and expensive accessories. We've enjoyed the Switch - and absolutely adore Zelda - but Nintendo still has some work to do.SlashGear70Nintendo Switch review: Excellent hardware with onThe Switch succeeds despite Nintendo, and I just hope that Nintendo takes these criticisms to heart before it gets in the way too much.The Guardian80Nintendo Switch review â€“ revolutionary, at homeThe Switch is a delight to use, with a rare confidence in how it aims to reshape gaming. Packing in some of the smartest tech on show from Nintendo in years helps, too. Less hardcore Nintendo fans may want to wait for a stronger software lineup ... but it’s off to a strong start.Kotaku70Nintendo Switch: The Kotaku ReviewI fundamentally like using the Switch. It accomplishes its central goal admirably, and has already gotten me thinking about it differently than my other game consoles. It also has a number of irritating flaws and hidden costs, and there are still things about it that Nintendo hasn’t explained.T390Nintendo Switch review: the BigN knocks it out ofThe Nintendo Switch delivers a unique gaming experience.IGN70NINTENDO SWITCH REVIEWThe Nintendo Switch blurs the line between handheld and home console, but it doesn't feel quite at home in either role.The Verge80NINTENDO SWITCH REVIEW: PURE POTENTIALThe Switch has all the makings of something truly great. Now Nintendo just needs to support it.TrustedReviews70Nintendo Switch reviewIts versatility and accessibility make it a joy to play, particularly as a portable machine. With Nintendo swiftly addressing my biggest concern with the hardware, it’s hard to argue this console isn’t absolutely brimming with potential in the months to come.
- 77AVERAGE USER SCORE21 ReviewsTech70August 19, 2020Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!It's a pretty fun console.Ozias80May 10, 2020Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The joycons are junk got the drifting on both of mine within a year Nintendo repaired them and they are doing it again, I purchased the pro controller that is amazing!!Georges10December 27, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I used nintendo switch for a month then the controllers stop working. Even though it was fully charged and plugged to the console, the console would not see/recognize the controllersrochelle90July 23, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I own most of all the games my control on my Wii switch gets stuck and it's really difficult to controlJordan B.90May 21, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!This has changed the way I game. The only thing I wish is that I'd bought one sooner.christran1290May 15, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetDeric100April 5, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Probably my favorite console. I mostly use it as a home console, but the ability to take it and play it anywhere just adds to its appeal. So easy to pack up and go set it up somewhere.Midori70March 13, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!How good the Switch is depends on a number of things about how you intend to use it: if you are using it as a home console or a portable, if you like Nintendo first-party games and low-spec indie titles, if you want to play online, etc. Nintendo's departure from the conventional console format means this console is even more specialized than previous Nintendo ones, which is a great thing if your usage of it plays to Nintendo's strengths, but not so much if you expect it to hold up to conventional consoles or PC.Basically, if you use the Switch as a portable that you can optionally plug into a TV, it's a truly great machine; a reasonably large screen with better resolution than previous portable consoles, the best built-in controllers I've used, great local multiplayer capabilities, and plenty of good games. It doesn't feature the best and brightest of the third party titles, but you can't really expect that from a portable.If you use it as a home console, though, it's pitiful. Underpowered compared with the competition, the worst bundled controllers I've ever used with a home console, crappy online capabilities, lacking almost every AAA third party game, typically having the worst version for multi-platform titles, etc. Its saving grace is the collection of great first-party Nintendo games; if you enjoy those then it might still be a good purchase even if you don't plan on using its mobile capabilities.Pahn60March 11, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Just like every Nintendo system in the past couple decades, third party support is lacking. Sure, you get Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros. But that's about it.The thing costs way too much for a huge, plasticy tablet. The Joycons are awful to actually use to play a game. I'd recommend buying another set if they didn't cost $80. Same for the dock. Accessory pricing is ridiculous.I like the memory-card style game form factor. It is nice to have a portable system that can play good games. The Nintendo eShop has good sales, at least on the more indie-style titles.Stephanie50March 9, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!A disappointing product with a lot of problems. - EngadgetScott40March 9, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!A poor product that's more likely to be frustrating than useful. - EngadgetTacoDave100March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I love my Switch. I'm at work currently and it is sitting beside me on my desk. I take it with me almost everywhere I go, because who knows when I'll have time to waste?I've used it in a movie theater before the movie started. I've used it in my car while my oil was being changed. I've used it in airports, on airplanes, and I brought my dock with me at Christmas when I went to visit my family, meaning I got to play games with my nieces and nephews on my parents' TV. Are the graphics the same as my PS4 or Xbox One? No. Are they still awesome, giving me great-looking games? YES! And now, two years in, Nintendo not only has the best exclusives in gaming (Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, etc.), they also have the best indies available and I can take them with me anywhere.This past week a game called "Ape Out" was released. There wasn't a moment of hesitation in choosing which console to buy it for: only one of them has the ability to travel with me in my pocket. Literally.As I said, I love my Switch. I bought it on day one, and I'm glad I did.danzilla7881100March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!As a millennial who grew up with Nintendo products for as long as I can remember in my home, I give it a 10/10... It may lack the graphics and engine, in comparison to home consoles, but I didn't buy it for that reason. First off, there are three ways to use it, dock it at home on the TV, take it on the go in handheld mode or put it in table-top mode and split the joycons into two controllers for someone else to play with you. This to me is one of the biggest reasons to purchase one, its versatility and portability, in addition to game library and online features (finally Nintendo...however it's limited). I can use a pro controller for any of the playing modes if I dont want to use a joycon, IMHO the pro controller is a must-have accessory when purchasing the Switch. I can browse menu screens or watch videos on different apps through touch screen interactions too. This gaming equipment surpasses the expectations in which I didn't even know I had in a hybrid type console, it is easy for me to take to my room if the rest of the house is occupied, or I take it with me whenever I have appointments and there's a waiting room. I love this product wholeheartedly and I am so glad I spent the money on this and all the other things that I wanted to go with it (i.e. pro controller, gaming pro grips via kickstarter). You will not be disappointed in getting this for whoever, young or old!anaveragedude60March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The Hardware is great and the idea of a fully portable console is has been almost perfectly realized but the low number of great games and the cost of the games really keep if from shinning. If we could get more games with the quality of BOTW and Mario Odyssey and get rid of the "Switch tax" the Switch would be absolutely amazing. As it stands it's only half of a total package. I feel that I bought an entire console to play one single game, BOTW.Ari90March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The Switch is an amazing system with so many ways to play - plugged in to a TV, on-the-go as a handheld console or splitting the controllers to play with friends. It's library of games has something for everyone, and the one place for it to improve is its accessibility to other entertainment services like Netflix.Araczynski50March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!An interesting device, with a lot of potential for fun, but very few titles worth playing. Its a nice addition (for the few unique titles it offers) if you already own the full consoles, but hardly a replacement for any of them if you're a serious gamer. If the intent of a purchase is for it to be used by kids, the Switch is definitely the one to pick out of all of the others however. It seems a LOT more family friendly in terms of ad spamming, simplicity of use, and age appropriate offerings.IAmQuinn90March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The Switch brought me back to gaming. My Xbox had become mostly a Netflix player while my Switch is where I go to play games. The console feels solid in the hand and while the Joy-Cons are maybe a touch cheap feeling, the Pro Controller is pretty solid.I primarily play docked with a Pro Controller. However, one of my favourite things about the Switch is how easy it is to bring with you and play on any screen. I often bring it to other places to play with people. Nintendo actually encourages local multiplayer, which is what I think gaming should be.When I do play handheld I get pretty good battery life in my opinion. It generally lasts longer than my game session. I've only ever come close to running out juice once, while playing Breath of the Wild, and I believe it was around the typical 3 hour mark.The game selection is a bit lacking, but between the AAA titles I have and the few indie games I'm always entertained so it's not really a big deal.I think Nintendo nailed it with this console. They are still adding to it and the platform is still maturing but it has room to grow and will only get better as time goes on, I'm excited to see what else Nintendo has in store for the Switch. Nintendo shows what gaming is all about; it's just about having fun.Jonathan G.100March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Switch it's simply Love for video Games. Great idea, cool system, amazing accesories and the best of all... A new way to game... anywhere, with anyone, anytime. If PS4 and XBOne fight with power, Switch fight with Love, and love alway wins. Switch is pure LoveAlexander90March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!This console is amazing. Despite its somewhat limited library currently, most of the first-party games on the Switch are absolute blockbusters. The console is truly a well-designed piece of hardware, but it is not without its flaws. There, as of now is no Bluetooth for wireless headphones (even though the controllers use it), no web browser (which the Wii U had), and the online service is useless for anything other than just playing games online. In fact, there is no method of friends list interaction built into the switch other than adding friends and seeing if they're online. This won't stop me from loving the Switch though, it prioritizes couch co-op and amazing single-player experiences like Zelda and Mario Odyssey. As the platform matures, I'm sure most of my criticisms will be addressed. And for that, I give the console a 9/10.JVaughan100March 8, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best value for the money in Video Games today. Both an great handheld and tv based console that is vastly superior to phones and almost delivers the same quality as dedicated TV consoles. It has a great library, unique features, and a kid friendly design that leads the pack.jose90August 8, 2017Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Incredible design, game changing and revolutionary, but the games library is very limited. Still one of the best devices I've tried in the past years.
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class merges next-level tech with luxury
Driving Citroen's pint-sized Ami EV is as fun as it looks
More from Nintendo