Post Thumbnail

We had an eerie feeling it'd come to this, and come it has. Nearly two full years to the day after the government of Japan began a thorough investigation into the spontaneous combusting of iPod nano devices, that same entity is now mandating that Apple publish an "easy to understand" statement on...

4 years ago 0 Comments
August 6, 2010 at 8:51AM
Post Thumbnail

A recent report in the New York Times details a myriad issues that led up to the eventual explosion that started the mess known as the "BP oil spill," but aside from obvious mishandling of warnings and red flags, one particular issue was troubling those working on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig long ...

4 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

The above picture is from from Boy Genius Report, who claim they received it from an AT&T Store employee dealing with a customer who said their iPhone 4 had spontaneously burst into flames. As you can see above, the adapter cable is completely melted, and the iPhone's stainless steel antenna ba...

4 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

Here's the thing: that horrifically swollen, completely destroyed battery you're peering at above isn't as rare a sight as it should be. If you'll recall, we've personally covered at least four MacBook Pro battery explosions, and we've also seen a similar amount of volatility over on the PC side. T...

5 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

Twiddling your thumbs in anticipation of the beginning of Stargate Worlds' closed beta test? The folks over at Ten Ton Hammer have an NDA-exempt goodie for people who are waiting -- a video of a Ha'tak class Go'auld attack ship exploding in the stratosphere of a planet. We were actually a little s...

6 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

Not even a month after three iPods got all hot and bothered on separate occasions, along comes images showing that even Apple's iPhone isn't immune to melting itself. Purportedly, the handset was purchased from Carphone Warehouse in December, but was never activated for one reason or another. Just...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

Not even a month after three iPods got all hot and bothered on separate occasions, along comes images showing that even Apple's iPhone isn't immune to melting itself. Purportedly, the handset was purchased from Carphone Warehouse in December, but was never activated for one reason or another. Just...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

We apologize for the blurriness of the image -- imagine you are looking through the photographer's tears -- but what you see before you is supposedly an esploded iPod touch. Tipster Max S. tells us he had the pleasurable experience of having his touch catch on fire between the glass and the compon...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

Oddly enough, this isn't the first time we've seen a product proudly designed in Cupertino erupt, but it's pretty safe to say this story could have had a much more tragic ending. Reportedly, an iPod nano owner recently awoke to a blaring fire alarm around 2:00AM, only to find his beloved PMP wrapp...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

Merely days after LG put the brakes on sales of its Z1-AE007 laptop due to suspicions of a faulty battery within, yet another lappie in South Korea is making headlines for its overheating, er, abilities. Reportedly, the battery in a P10 computer, produced in 2002, "melted" after inexplicably emittin...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

It's not like LG hasn't had issues with its batteries before, and even after confirming that they were unquestionably safe just last week, the firm has suddenly removed its Z1-AE007 from the market after suspecting that faulty batteries may be included. Reportedly, one of said models "caught fire" i...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

This past month has seen the addition of a number of useful features to Sony's underdog handheld, such as its Skype integration and the soon to be imported GPS functionality. However, a story from a Michigan middle school recently broke the news of a heretofore unannounced ability of the PSP -- in...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

A Michigan schoolboy was burned by his PSP earlier today. According to the report, "Police said the the fire burned a hole in his pants and the child suffered minor burns." Police determined the PSP battery overheated and exploded, causing the child to be sent to the hospital. PSP explosions are rar...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

Truth be told, we aren't exactly inclined to believe this here article is entirely accurate, but nevertheless, Modern Ghana is reporting that a resident was recently killed by an exploding cellphone. Notably, this unfortunate accident wasn't due to a faulty battery, or at least that hasn't been bl...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

AT&T is looking to replace 17,000 backup batteries in U-verse equipment cabinets all over the country over concerns that they can explode. Those are confirmed concerns, too, as there have been four confirmed incidents since October 2006. Explosions have occurred in Houston, Cleveland and Wiscons...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

AT&T is looking to replace 17,000 backup batteries in U-verse equipment cabinets all over the country over concerns that they can explode. Those are confirmed concerns, too, as there have been four confirmed incidents since October 2006. Explosions have occurred in Houston, Cleveland and Wiscons...

7 years ago 0 Comments
Post Thumbnail

While we certainly hope the average (read: not GI) jane / joe isn't overly concerned about the rate at which homegrown explosions detonate as desired, we understand the Army's need to have more faith in their own munitions. Reportedly, a new "smart fuse" conjured up at Georgia Tech could soon preven...

7 years ago 0 Comments