We have a new skills and abilities system in Fallen Earth. I wrote a short guide about the new skills a couple of weeks ago, so this week I'd like to cover the new mutations. If you haven't played Fallen Earth in the past few months, you will log into a very empty hot-key bar and have a very messed-up build. You will have a lot more AP than you did, though. But that AP is useless if you don't know how to spend it. There are no more capstones to plan builds around; you'll have to build a clone that will suit your particular play-style. My skills post and this post will give you a pretty good idea of what each line does and what abilities or mutations they offer.
All clones still have alpha mutations, but they are only low-level mutations and are intended to introduce new players to the mutation system. These mutations are based soley on Charisma now rather than Willpower. Every mutation line also has a primary stat attached to it, which determines 75% of the maximum attainable skill level. The other 25% is determined by Willpower. Total gamma (gamma is the mutation stamina pool that you deplete when you use mutations) is now determined by Charisma and Intelligence. Willpower is not nearly as important to mutation-heavy characters as it used to be. Those are the fundamental changes to mutations, and after the cut I'll describe what each line has in its arsenal.
Alpha mutations - Primary stat is Charisma. Alpha mutations increase in rank without any AP expenditures.
- Bolster - Bolster raises your maximum stamina and power. It can be toggled on and off and reserves (basically nullifies) 10% of your gamma pool. It cannot be run while Gird is up.
- Disrupt - This mutation is an offensive debuff that lowers your target's defenses and saves. It can be resisted with a Mind save and has the added effect of stunning NPCs. This is one of the Alpha mutations that can still be useful in the higher levels (at least in PvE), due to the NPC stun.
- Gird - Gird increases your health by a small amount while sacrificing 15% of your gamma. It is a useful mutation early on, but in higher levels it is too much gamma for too little health.
- Patch - Patch is a targeted heal that can also remove negative effects. It can be used on any living target and also while moving. It has a two-minute cooldown, so it is more of a supplemental heal.
- Benevolence - This mutation restores a good deal of health to the target if it is you and twice as much if the target is another. It has a short cooldown but is canceled by movement, making the user vulnerable for a moment.
- Preservation - Preservation removes negative effects and can use multiple casts to deal with stronger effects.
- Restoration - This ability is a heal-over-time (HOT), but unlike normal HOTs, it applies the health regeneration every second for five seconds (instead of six).
- Share Life - This is a fast-casting resurrection ability. It depletes the caster's health by 60% when used. You can bring teammates up quickly with this mutation, but you will both be vulnerable for a short while.
- Ablate - This mutation ability boosts primary armor but lowers both Power and Precision to a degree. It can be toggled like Bolster and Gird and occupies the same channel, as do all toggled mutations.
- Calibration - This ability is an aura that increases the primary armor of all nearby teammates.
- Resilience - This ability is an aura that improves the saves of all nearby teammates.
- Endless Reserves - This ability increases your total stamina and gamma, but it lowers your health by 25%. It is a toggled mutation and is mutually exclusive with other toggled mutations.
- Meditation - This aura increases the stamina and gamma regeneration rates of all nearby teammates.
- Filtration - This is an aimed heal. You have to actually hit the person you are trying to heal. It can also remove strong negative effects.
- Reconstruction - This mutation is a targeted mutation that heals all teammates in a cone-shaped burst. Its main drawback is a three-minute cooldown.
- Revitalize - This mutation boosts the health regeneration of nearby teammates for 20 seconds.
- Vital Osmosis - This mutation is much like Reconstruction, but it has a 30-second cooldown.
- Debilitating Weakness - This ability lowers the Power and weapon skills of all enemies in the target area.
- Sapping Sickness - This ability reduces the regeneration and the movement speeds of all enemies in the target area.
- Wracking Pains - This ability reduces the regeneration rates of the targeted enemy.
- Beast Might - This ability adds crushing damage to the next attack with a weapon (or fists) but reduces your health by a like amount.
- Primal Vigor - This is a toggled mutation that increases your total health considerably.
- Rampage - This ability improves your primary armor and your Power and Precision for five seconds. At the end of the five-second duration, you receive a similar debuff for 10 seconds.
- Catastrophic Dissonance - This is an area effect ability that causes sonic damage to everyone inside the radius. It is dangerous to allies, so it must be used with care.
- Rending Vibrations - An aimed cone that causes sonic damage-over-time to those caught in the target area.
- Sonic Lance - An aimed mutation that (if you hit with it) causes sonic damage instantly to the target.
- Denial - This ability reduces the target's stamina and gamma.
- Sap Stamina - This ability drains the target's stamina and gives half that amount back to each of your teammates.
- Siphon Energy - This mutation works exactly like Sap Stamina, but it affects gamma.
- Always Armed - This mutation causes ballistic and piercing damage directly to your target. It has a very short cooldown.
- Bend Metal - This mutation debuffs your target's primary armor considerably.
- Propel - This mutation causes a large amount of crushing damage directly to your target. It has a 10-second cooldown.
- Cold Snap - This mutation causes direct cold damage to your target. It has a short cooldown.
- Hypothermia - This mutation causes cold damage-over-time to your current target. It has a short cooldown. There's a joke there somewhere, but I'll let you find it yourself.
- Molotov Cocktail - This mutation causes direct fire damage to your target.
- Napalm - This mutation causes fire damage-over-time to your current target.
Ed Marshall has been playing Fallen Earth since beta and leads the KAOS clan. Wasteland Diaries is his weekly column that covers all aspects of Fallen Earth: PvE, RP and PvP. To contact Ed, send an email to email@example.com, find him on the official forums as Casey Royer, or hunt him down in the wastelands as Nufan, Original, Death Incarnate, and Knuckles Mcsquee.