Apple iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2018)
Don’t be fooled by its new, even more minimalist design: Apple’s revamped 12.9-inch iPad Pro is overkill, plain and simple. We have a few things for thank for that, like the absurdly fast A12X Bionic chipset (which actually runs faster than some of the full-blown PCs in our office) and the fact that you can now pay for up to 1TB of onboard storage. And let’s not forget Apple’s decision to include a USB-C port instead of its classic Lightning connector — not only does it make it easier to augment the iPad with additional accessories, it also means the Pro can be used to tackle different kinds of tasks more easily. It’s the first iPad we’ve ever tested that could actually potentially replace a traditional computer in someone’s life. That said, shortcomings in iOS and a lack of optimized software mean that this iPad’s best days are still to come.
- New easy-to-hold design
- Beautiful Liquid Retina display
- USB-C for flexibility and faster charging
- Fast performance
- Up to 1TB of storage
- Much-improved Apple Pencil
- Non-base configurations get expensive
- iOS 12 feels limited on this ambitious hardware
- Lots of trial-and-error to find compatible USB accessories
- No support for external storage
- Critic Reviews (5)
- User Reviews (34)
- 80AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE5 ReviewsMacworld80A fantastic tablet, if not a fantastic laptopThere’s never been a better tablet. Regardless of what Apple wants you to believe, though, there are still plenty of better laptops.Wired80REVIEW: IPAD PRO (2018)The iPad Pro is one of the most powerful computers you can own. It could be the best PC, too. Or better than a Mac. For now, it still has to settle for being the best tablet money can buy.CNET70Big beautiful tablet? Yes. Flexible computer? TBDThe new iPad Pro is in many ways the pinnacle of tablet hardware design, but its nosebleed price and software limitations narrow its appeal to creatives willing to bend to its current compromises.AppleInsider90Putting Apple's 'pro' claim to the testWhether it is meant to replace a PC or not is a different question, but it doesn't mean that iOS and the iPad Pro can't fulfill the potential it already has. The iPad Pro has room to grow, and it undoubtedly will. This iPad Pro feels like the most polished iPad yet and was worth our upgrading but we will still be here patiently waiting for third-party apps to tap into that unbridled power and for Apple to finally focus on new features with iOS 13 rather than the polishing and performance focused iOS 12.The Verge80THE FASTEST IPAD IS STILL AN IPADIs the new iPad Pro a stunning engineering achievement? Without question. Has Apple once again produced mobile hardware that puts the rest of the industry to shame when it comes to performance, battery life, and design? Yep. Is the iPad Pro the best, most capable iPad ever made? It certainly is.But you know what? It’s still an iPad.
- 78AVERAGE USER SCORE34 ReviewsTech80April 21, 2020Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!It performs very well, although a bit on the expensive side.Nicholas60July 3, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Damn, long review I wrote got deleted after I logged in. Shorter version: the iPad Pro is not very useful, the battery life is not great, but it looks really nice. Apple advertising is misleading, it is only about as useful as a phone, not even as useful as a chrome-book or really cheap laptop (one that would be about AUD$2K less than iPad when keyboard cover is factored in).iPad OS needs to function more like MacOS than iPhone version of iOS to make this actually more usablejean10July 2, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Screen has hairline fracture running across middle of screen. 1 year 3 months old. Apple store is not willing to work with a loyal customer. Between myself and my business I have had over 20 Apple phones and iPads. This is my personal iPad and it has never been dropped. I have never had any type of issue with my screens on any devices. I believe the screen sizing may be too large and is not durable enough for regular use. Currently there is no recall like the hassle I went through getting batteries for the iPhone 6 and had 7 of them that needed to be fixed. The only option is $599 to fix the screen which is over 1/2 the price of the device itself. I would like to report what I feel is a defect. Although Apple will not tell you the amount of screens they have fixed that were not a consumer accident.ali80May 18, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!iOS is a bit limited. It could be a great device if Apple finalized the software for the tablet to make it more of a „pro“ device. The design is fantastic and it’s the best iPad to ever come out. The size is a little big to carry around and manage. It would be great if they reduced the device‘s size to 12-12,5.Joel70April 30, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I love this iPad. I use it both for personal and business use(I don't bother with the laptop corp gave me when I travel). Very frustrated, however, about the screen - every once in a while it becomes non-responsive for 10-30 seconds.Tyler80April 28, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Hardware = 10/10Software = 1/10iOS is a joke on anything called “Pro”.No file browser, no external storage, no mouse support, & no window manager.iOS is an OS meant for a phone, and it ruins any accomplishments Apple makes in hardware.iOS = Amazing... on a phone.iOS = Pure comedy on “Pro” anything.Andre90April 28, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!This is my daily driver at work when it comes to emailing, accessing company distributed information, documenting, analyzing, calculating and graphing, collaborative brainstorming and more. I’ve picked up the 12.9” 256GB LTE version for this very reason. I can easily carry this all day to different parts of the building and plug it into the projector with ease. I especially love how synchronized it is with my iPhone. I can scan a document with my iPhone, then immediately edit and write on it with my iPad. I can receive a PDF via text and immediately start filling it out on my iPad. So many things connect seamlessly, I really enjoy my workflow between my phone and iPad Pro. When I’m not at work my iPad is additionally my smart hub at home and my favourite way to consume entertainment when I’m out and about. A great buy. I did pick up AppleCare in fear of damaging the large and beautiful screen. It’s solid, but wouldn’t want to risk dropping it. Looking forward to future versions of iOS to make me fall in love with this more.Alex20April 27, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!My biggest problem with the iPad pro 12.9 256gb is, that the screen often jams (stops responding to touch input)When this happens, there is no respons on touch.You have to put it down, wait een couple of seconds en then you can use the screen until it jams again which happens way to often.Devin80April 27, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Love my 12.9" iPad Pro, but as Lisa Eadicicco writes in Business Insider Apple needs to improve its capabilities with mouse/trackpad support, separate re-sizeable windows, better file management, and external storage support. The hardware is outstanding; iOS lacks needed functionality.Tormak60April 27, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Good device that improves on the older version. However, it's still far away from a laptop replacement. Until it has proper filesystem management, file sharing, *mouse support* and the ability to hook an external monitor to it it's still just an iPAD. The pencil is nice, I like how they fixed the ridiculous charging issues, but it still feels like writing on glass, they need to improve the feel *and* for god sakes put a handwriting text input keyboard as standard. Samsung has only been doing that with their Note tablets for a decade. Come on Apple! Sadly, there is nothing PRO here, it's still largely a content consumption device, not a content production device. There is very little 'ease of use' if you actually try to use it as a laptop, it's just an exercise in frustration and futility. Save your money until they fix these issues.daryl90April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I also have the iPad Pro 10.5 and I agree the 12.9 is overkill.Yes it is expensive but I wanted to use something that is bigger.It stays home, I use an old iPad Mini 2 or the 10.5 Pro when travelling.So the size at home is not an issue.I love the flat side slab styling, and I hope Apple will introduce this slab styling on a future iPad Mini.I use the Pencil with the 10.5 Pro but it is too expensive to buy the Pencil 2 for the 12.9.I never regularly use the Pencil for anything artistic. If I developed a need, I would get it for the 12.9.I never bought any keyboard for any ipad.Victor80April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Very good hardware but the software still holds back the iPad Pro. This device is begging for better multi-tasking, mouse support, and extended USB-C docking capability.4k display extension with mouse support would make the iPad pro my primary device.Jan60April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The hardware is sublime. Great, big, bright sparkling screen, fast processor, awesome sound.The pen is likewise amazing.Now, if only the OS wasn't such a letdown. Navigation by pen is a pita, you need to keep using your fingers. Multi user is non-existent. Decent multitasking on such a screen is also non-existent. It just misses a lot of pro features for a pro pricetag.Roman80April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!It's a great device. Only cons: Battery life could be a little bit longer. iOS feels limited.Asifuddin80April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!There's a lot to like about this in spite of a few flaws. - EngadgetUlysses90April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!A beautiful and powerful tablet, the 11 inch iPad Pro is close to being the perfect device. It’s wonderful to use for entertainment purposes such as web browsing, video streaming, social media, and reading. It’s also a capable work device that can handle tasks like creating documents, power-points, and excel sheets. However, I’d love if Apple could make better use of its raw power and offer a version of iOS that can make it even better as a productivity device and thus live up to its ‘Pro’ moniker. Multitasking and what can be done with the USB s still limited, for example.Brice100April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!A gadget unicorn - EngadgetMichael50April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Laptops beware, we're halfway there. Software would be nice. Such a cool Device but people treat it like their iPhone, why even buy an iPad pro if that's what it is to you? I've been waiting years for an iPad to be the best combination of laptop and phone and this one finally comes close enough to want to buy one. But what's missing? The best camera, the laptop functionality, a truely all day battery, foldable screen, or at least one that will not crack, but most importantly, software. The app store makes me want to jailbreak my iPad, but that would only help a little. Stop treating the iPad like a tablet and start treating it like a computer, that's what it is.Apple pencil: you are great buddy, I just need a coarse nib to make the experience feel like paper and not oil but that's probably asking too much. Overall I love my device and can't wait to see what the future holds for the ipad pro.Nadav80April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!There's a lot to like about this in spite of a few flaws. - Engadgetbrent90April 26, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I love this iPad more than any I’ve had before (3 Previous). Reading on it is like a massage for your eyes!emulajavi80April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Great device that lacks proper software for all the potential it has. Finally it has USB-C but Apple has to enable USB external drives support.Bing Shaw90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!This baby is now my Daily Laptop, sketchbook, magazine, and portable theater. The ultimate iPad I been dreamed for since the day I owned my very 1st iPad2!The bezel is all balance no mater how you hold it, also that make us having a same screen size but a much smaller device!Apple Pencil was all perfect but the way to charging and carrying, this time, the problems solved.Smart Keyboard was all great but not protecting the back side, and only one angle for typing mode isn’t enough, and this time, the folio solved the problems too!Stefan90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetPablo90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetChris100April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!A gadget unicorn - EngadgetLC90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!I have the 12.9" iPad Pro 512Gb and the Pencil 2 as well as the Apple keyboard cover. I love this iPad so much better than my iPad mini albeit not a far comparison. The beautiful screen and response to gestures is amazing and I really like the new body design. I don't miss the forehead/chin areas like my old iPad from years ago. I use several digital media drawing apps that work beautifully on this machine. The size is refreshingly large without being too large but it is a heavy iPad so portability is tricky but I usually have an attache or large enough purse to drop in to for travel. I was hoping the battery life would be better than it is and I've seen testing that the 11" version has longer life but maybe that is the compromise for screen size. I only look forward to mouse support hopefully with iOS 13 in near future which might be a game changer in usage for some. Now that there is 'bend gate' for these iPad Pros, I am more concerned with bending it inadvertently but in regular daily use, that hasn't been an issue. More an issue in toting it around. I love having the option of 512GB storage now or even 1TB for those wanting more. Frankly, 256Gb should really be a starting point and just remove the tiny 64Gb relative to every other tablet out there. Otherwise, I highly recommend this version of the iPad Pro.Jonathan100April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!A gadget unicorn - EngadgetEd30April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Okay overall but speakers tinny, accelerometer sometimes slow to react and drops WiFi signal several times a day even though modem a foot away and 200mbs broadband. iOS looking very stale. Still restricted to 5 X 4 icons on every screen in 2019. Folders are a design disgrace: must have 16 spaces even if only 2 apps in folder so looks horrible. Software made for dumb middle class blondes or their kids. Way too simple and lacking features for tech literate people. Software on my Android phone way better.dybmapi90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The best in its category. We highly recommend it. - EngadgetKen90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!the last iPad I bought for myself was the iPad mini that I later sold. Once this came out I knew it was time for a new iPad. My laptop even though its still fully functional is 7 years old and will not die. It's a i7 Ivy Bridge with updated Ssd. This has nearly replaced my laptop. The only time I use my laptop is to use them both together. I bought the iPad Pro 12.9 with 256gb. I use this for social media, photo editing, and games. It runs very fast, screen and form size is perfect. Only negative is a slight bend.Chris100April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!The bad: it‘ll break, it‘ll bend, it‘s too large and heavy for one hand and the features are not what „everyone“ needs.The great: It‘s EXACTLY what I need and then some. Because I could tweak my workflows so that they take advantage of the plus sides. They include the awesome apps OneNote, Goodreader, ToDo to name my most used ones. The app Graphic and the Pencil is second (and better than on a PC). Pixelmator, Ultrabix, Slidebox for Photos (and better than on a PC, not only because of the gorgeous display). Sometimes Mail with the folio (not as good as Outlook on a PC). Civilization VI lets the processor and the battery live shine (much better than on a notebook).Worth every Penny to me.Don‘t buy if you don‘t know EXACTLY which apps you‘re going to use, and how. Test the waters with a cheaper version, maybe a used one.g90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!This iPad has lived up to or exceeded all my expectations except for two - 1) the bending frame thing has me paranoid about stuffing it in a backpack, and 2) the screen is extremely hard to keep clean. Unlike our smaller ipads, and iphone XR and SE screens, the fingerprints don't come off with a few swipes of microfiber. I haven't used any cleaners, but may have to at some point. Other than that? It's fast, 256GB is plenty of storage for me, battery life is awesome, and the pencil works great.Warren90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Had mine since launch, as a system it's far more practical use than the older 12.9 inch iPad Pro models and the redesign means you can actually use it on the go with minimal discomfort. For digital art, it become scary how easily it loads up large user files with no fuss and while having multiple apps running, something most pro laptops struggle with. I find that the biggest issues with the device beside the lack of file management system are durability (it feels delicate as a device and not something you can just throw in a bag) but also battery life which while acceptable usually lasts about 2/3 a day of general use.lex90April 25, 2019Feedback submitted!Unable to submit feedback!Not a true laptop replacement. Without a proper file system and mouse support some work task can be impossible to complete. Would also be great given screen resolution if user could adjust scaling.