Google Home Max
If you're looking for a voice-activated speaker and want excellent sound quality, the Google Home Max is the best option on the market. It's expensive, but you get a lot for your money. If you want great audio and don't want to mess around with more complicated speaker setups, the Home Max is a solid option.
- Excellent sound quality
- Simple setup
- All the features of the Google Assistant
- Tasteful design
- 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth support for additional audio devices
- Expensive, especially for a stereo pair
- Somewhat limited streaming service selection (but at least it has Spotify)
- Third-party support still trails Amazon's Alexa ecosystem
Users - Not yet scored
- Critic Reviews (10)
- 82AVERAGE CRITIC SCORE10 ReviewsGizmodo80The Google Home Max Almost Made My House Go BoomThe Google Home Max is pretty good for now. I’d go so far as to say that it’s the best smart speaker on the market. That accolade might not last long, though.TechCrunch80Google Home Max reviewOn the whole, it’s a solid offering. Google Assistant is tough to beat and the hardware mostly stands on its own. It’s not the most stellar piece of audio equipment at its price point, but Google’s engineered something that works right out of the box.PC Mag80Google Home MaxThe Google Home Max is the first smart speaker we've seen with serious audio performance.Wired80REVIEW: GOOGLE HOME MAXAs good as the Max sounds, it's really only truly useful if you and the Assistant are besties. If you're just looking for an Alexa alternative, maybe consider one of the cheaper Home speakers. Better yet, buy the Sonos One speaker.CNET80Google Home Max review: Harder, better, stronger sAlthough too expensive for mass appeal, the Google Home Max is the best-sounding smart speaker yet.VentureBeat90Google Home Max review: An amazing smart speaker fPeople who feel like they’re missing something like the Max in their home will enjoy it. It’s well designed and performs admirably at what it was built to do.The Verge80GOOGLE HOME MAX REVIEW: SMART GETS LOUDThe Home Max is a great sounding, fully integrated smart speaker if volume and audio quality are your priority. It’s too expensive, too big, and too loud to fit in most rooms, so it’s best suited for a living room or larger space.Android Central80Google Home Max reviewThis is an oversized version of Google Home. It does all the same stuff — it just sounds way better while doing it. Music, information, communication, all that same stuff. And it does so with a much heftier price tag and physical footprint.Digital Trends80Google Home Max reviewThe Google Home Max can do more than a traditional bookshelf speaker, and it sounds great.USA Today90Google Home Max: Google's max effort pays off in pThough it’s on the pricey side, Google Home Max has set an exemplary example for any and all smart speakers to come.
Apple AirPods Pro review (2nd-gen): Big improvements, all on the inside
Sonos Sub Mini review: The practical sub we’ve been waiting for
More from Google
Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Meta and Google to improve speech recognition for people with disabilitiesThe Speech Accessibility Project aims to help people with Down's syndrome, Parkinson's and more.
We have two newsletters, why not sign up for both?